It is official. Funding has been allocated and the Environmental Impact Report has been certified. This week, demolition began.
In case you missed the news: we are beginning major improvements to the amphitheatre stage, including the infrastructure underneath, as well as new facilities and amenities. What this all means is a better experience for you and for our artists.
Such improvements as:
- A complete stage reconstruction, realigning and leveling the stage
- Hillside stabilization and drainage improvements
- New theatrical lighting and speakers
- A new and improved sound wall to better block 101 Freeway noise
- A new picnic terrace for up to 200 people
- A new concessions with onsite kitchen
These construction efforts are possible thanks to the support of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, notably outgoing Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who has championed the arts during his 20-year tenure representing the Third District. (For more about the County’s support of the arts, check out last week's LA Times article.)
Some of you may be concerned that this work will change the Ford’s awesome vibe. Rest assured this will not happen. We are dedicated both to preserving the Ford’s historic status and to staying genuine L.A.
We look forward to sharing fun stories about the project’s progress, photos and more in the coming months.
-Your Friends at the Ford